Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wellingborough Town FC


Doughboys Tame The Tigers

1 week ago By Steve Whitney

Wellingborough Town came back from high-flying Holbeach United with an excellent 1-1 draw.

This was an superb result given that they had been down to ten men since the 40th minute and the pitch had turned into something more suited to a battle re-enactment group.

Doughboys started very brightly and in the 2nd minute Lloyd Buckby fed the ball to Adam Speight but his shot was well saved by home 'keeper Ricky Dreary.

Three minutes later Speight turned and thumped a shot against the right-hand post. In the 8th minute at the other end Danny Brookes went close with a rising shot from outside the penalty area.

On 13 minutes Adam Jackson hit the Wellingborough post and fortunately the rebound went straight to Jack Riley on the goal-line.

Chances continued to come thick and fast and two minutes later Brookes struck the post with a free-kick. In the 18th minute Will Bird robbed Dante Memoli as the ball held up in the mud but was only able to clip his shot over the crossbar.

There then followed rather a scrappy period of play and the next opportunity was not until the 31st minute when Nat Ansu was put through on the left but elected to shoot early and Drury saved his effort.

The visiting striker challenged the goalkeeper for the rebound and was perhaps unlucky to receive a yellow card for the nature of his challenge.

Five minutes before the interval Ansu slid in on Jackson and received a red card, giving Wellingborough an uphill battle for the second half.

Holbeach tried to press home their advantage from the restart and on 48 minutes Brookes shot from 20 yards only for Riley to save and three minutes later the same player fired in a powerful driver straight at the visiting 'keeper.

In the 57th minute Ainsley McDonald went toe to toe with Adam Jackson in midfield but was penalised and went into the referee's notebook. From the resulting free-kick, Brookes' effort from 40 yards out sailed over Riley, who had advanced from his line, and into the net to give the Lincolnshire side the lead.

It could have been worse 4 minutes later as Bird was clear on the right but side-footed across the goal. Wellingborough rallied in the 74th minute a left-wing corner from Justin Dowling (on for Memoli) was not properly cleared and when Adam Jackson barged into Albert Akinremi, the referee pointed to the spot.

Dowling stepped up and struck the ball to Drury's left to level the scores.

Holbeach came back and on 77 minutes Mitch Griffiths shot over the bar from 25 yards. A minute later Buckby played Speight in but his shot was saved.

The home side should have retaken the lead on 84 minutes but substitute Spencer Tinkler missed his kick at the far post.

Three minutes from time it was 10 against 10 as Holbeach substitute Matt Warfield was pulled up for a foul and then made a comment towards the referee, his reward coming in the shape of a red card.

In the final minute of the game, Bird headed over the bar from a corner from the left and Holbeach were unable to cause any more problems.

In fact, had the game gone on another few minutes Wellingborough may well have won it.

It was a happy coach journey back home (thanks to Nathan Marsh for arranging the transport) as players and supporters reflected on an unexpected point.

Holbeach have only been beaten at home once all season (by Desborough) so this draw was a very creditable achievement indeed.

Neil Morris

Updated 19:07 - 11 Feb 2018 by Steve Whitney

Where next?

Doughboys Earn Last-Gasp Point Against League Leaders There's nothing like receiving an unexpected present at Christmas.....


Loading comments

Sat 3 Mar
Wellingborough Town Northampton Sileby Rangers
League 15:00
Tue 6 Mar
Wellingborough Town Boston Town
League 19:45
Sat 10 Mar
Wellingborough Town Desborough Town
League 15:00


Club sponsors