Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wellingborough Town FC


New Year's Hangover For Doughboys

2 weeks ago By Steve Whitney

After the sighting of that rare beast, a 0-0 draw, on Boxing Day, it was back to end-to-end.....

...... entertainment for the first-team on Saturday at the Dog and Duck.

Unfortunately, Deeping Rangers' 4-2 victory means that Wellingborough have now gone six games without a win. They really need to end that run in the next two games, away at Boston Town and Sileby Rangers.

The home side began brightly against Deeping, but the first effort on goal was not until the 13th minute, when Dante Memoli's cross from the left floated just over the crossbar.

Soon afterwards at the other end Jason Kilbride hit a low shot just past the post.

He was to rue the miss as Doughboys took a 17th minute lead, Deven Ellwood nodding home Mark Pryor's right-wing corner from close range after he had won the corner himself.

The visitors began to push forward in search of an equaliser and right-back Daniel Flack was causing problems on the overlap.

On 22 minutes David Burton-Jones fired over the bar from 6 yards, whilst Town's next chance was a Lloyd Buckby free-kick from 25 yards which failed to test the Rangers goalkeeper.

Deeping eventually levelled in the 31st minute when Kilbride's free-kick was powerfully headed home by Burton-Jones. Barely had Town been able to settle when 2 minutes later Kilbride knocked in Flack's cross from the right to give the Lincolnshire side the lead.

Three minutes after the interval Wellingborough were level once more as Ellwood took Buckby's pass and shot from the edge of the area, although custodian Richard Stainsby will think he should have done better to keep it out.

On 59 minutes Ellwood nearly had his hat-trick, but headed wide from Michael Cirelli's centre.

Deeping's centre-forward Scott Mooney had come out after half-time with a heavily-bandaged leg and he was then replaced by substitute Charlie Coulson. Wellingborough were still creating chances and after 71 minutes Albert Akinremi crossed from the left and Mark Pryor's effort was well-saved by Stainsby.

Two minutes later Justin Dowling received his marching orders for a tackle on Scott Coupland, the incident prompting most of the players on the field to show the handbags they had received at Christmas.

With 13 minutes remaining Jak Riley superbly saved Coulson's low shot but he was beaten 6 minutes later when Coupland slotted home from ten yards out to give Deeping the lead for the second time.

As Town tried to regain the lead Buckby's shot from the left was comfortably saved, but at the other end Riley made another fine stop from Kilbride. This proved to be in vain as in stoppage time Kilbride's cross from the right was swept in by the impressive Coupland.

Neil Morris

Updated 13:01 - 8 Jan 2018 by Steve Whitney

Where next?

Goosey Quits First-Team Post Wellingborough Town have announced that Stuart Goosey has resigned.....
Festive Derby Disappointment Just like that hideous green jumper from Great Aunt Hilda, the Wellingborough derby turned.....


Loading comments

Sat 27 Jan
Wellingborough Town Sleaford Town
League 15:00
Sat 3 Feb
Wellingborough Town Eynesbury Rovers
League 15:00

News sponsor


Club sponsors