Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wellingborough Town FC


Five-Star Doughboys Thrash Struggling Sleaford

3 weeks ago By Steve Whitney

Wellingborough Town gained their first victory in two months on...

.....Saturday when they hammered struggling Sleaford Town at the Dog & Duck.

Such a convincing win seemed unlikely as the teams went in level at the break, but an emphatic second half performance gave the home side the points.

The Doughboys had the first clear opening of the match when Adam Speight turned and fired over the crossbar in the 10th minute.

Both sides struggled to create opportunities early on and Sleaford didn't threaten until the 23rd minute when Jak Riley tipped Michael Hayden's shot around the post, when the Sleaford striker really should have scored.

On the half-hour mark Albert Akinremi drilled in a low shot which goalkeeper Garry Doran managed to reach at the far post before Speight could turn it in.

Five minutes later roles were reversed as Speight crossed to Akinremi on the right, but the winger saw his shot saved.

As Wellingborough pressed, Deven Ellwood headed over from Daniel Uche's cross from the left after 40 minutes.

Three minutes on and Riley was in action to tip Harry Millard's effort onto the right-hand post and just before the interval Hayden crossed from the left, only for Liam Harris to miss a golden chance to put Sleaford ahead.

The visitors were made to pay less than a minute into the second period as sub Nat Ansu was put through on the left and he blasted a left-foot shot over Doran from just inside the penalty box.

Straight afterwards Wellingborough almost doubled their lead when Akinremi's shot was well saved and from the resulting corner, Ellwood twice saw efforts cleared off the line.

The second goal did come in the 54th minute when, from a centre by Uche, Speight's low right-foot shot curled away from Doran and into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later it was 3-0 as Ellwood turned and shot from the edge of the penalty area, Doran never moving as the ball shot past him.

On 61 minutes Ansu produced a superb run into the box but Doran was able to save.

Six minutes later Jake Gillingwater turned on the style with a `Rabona` trick shot which saw the ball just clear the bar.

With 8 minutes remaining, Ellwood intercepted a weak backpass and knocked the ball to his right for Ansu to slide it into the goal: 4-0.

In the 86th minute, sub Jonathon Joyce saw his shot tipped around by the busy Doran.

The final goal came with a minute left to play as Ellwood headed home Joyce's corner from the right.

Nathan Marsh could not have hoped for such an eye-catching first home game in caretaker charge and now has to ensure the team maintain the high standards when Eynesbury Rovers visit on Saturday.

Neil Morris

Updated 19:39 - 28 Jan 2018 by Steve Whitney

Where next?

Young Doughboys Make Emphatic League Cup Progress Monday was a hugely disappointing night when we bowed out of the David Joyce County.....
Sad Loss..... It is with deep sadness that we report....


Loading comments

Sat 3 Mar
Wellingborough Town Northampton Sileby Rangers
League 15:00
Tue 6 Mar
Wellingborough Town Boston Town
League 19:45
Sat 10 Mar
Wellingborough Town Desborough Town
League 15:00

News sponsor


Club sponsors